Native Media player

I’m developing a web application for LG webOS TVs using JavaScript, HTML, and CSS. The app is designed to play various video files, including some MKV videos that contain sometime codecs not supported by the standard HTML5 video player or third-party libraries like Shaka Player.

On Samsung TVs, there’s the AVPlay API, which allows developers to access the TV’s native media player, offering support for a wider range of codecs beyond what’s available with the HTML5 video element.

My questions are:

Does LG webOS provide a native media player API or component similar to Samsung’s AVPlay that I can integrate into my app to handle more video codecs?

If such an API exists, could you please provide guidance or documentation on how to implement it?

Are there any sample codes or projects available that demonstrate its usage?

What I’ve Tried So Far:

Utilizing the standard HTML5 video element and Shaka Player, but some MKV files still fail to play due to codec limitations.

My Goal:

To leverage the LG webOS TV’s native media capabilities to support a broader range of video formats and codecs without needing to transcode or modify the original files.

To provide users with a seamless and reliable media playback experience within my app.

Any assistance, advice, or pointers to relevant resources would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time and help.

Best regards

You can refer to Streaming Protocol and DRM and Video and Audio Format. Thank you.